Friday, October 12, 2012

Fostering Fluency


AlthoughitisfallbreakIamdoingmyhomeworkformyreadingeducationclassIamprettyproudofmyselfthatIamnotdoingthisthenightbeforelikeIusuallydoIreadchapterfouranditistitledfosteringfluencyIfounditinterestinganditgavesomegreatexamplestouseintheclassroomAlsoIneverrealizedhowdifficultitistonotusethespacebar.

The words above are my copy of the example that they provided in the beginning of Chapter 4- Fostering Fluency by Cunningham and Allington. If you had a difficult time reading that and had to pause, you have experienced what it feels like when you cannot read something fluently. I thought it was neat way to start out the chapter, it put the difficulties that children have with reading in perspective for me. I am so use to being able to read without struggle, it almost reverted my mind back to when I was in elementary school learning to read, and it brought back the struggles I remember having. At this age, the one thing that I can compare children’s difficulty of reading to is me in my Spanish class trying to read and comprehend the words of a different language. If I have a difficult time with a word and have to pause and look it up, I lose my whole train of thought and lose any comprehension that I had of the sentence or paragraph. So in a sense, even thought I am in college I can understand the struggle and the frustration that children have towards reading.


The link above is great idea for the classroom, it is called Fluency Boot camp and provides a lesson plan, activities, and the worksheets needed for the lesson. It seems like a fun idea! 

1 comment:

  1. When you typed the paragraph without spaces it really put reading fluency into perspective for me. I think we often forget how it must be to not be able to read fluently and the frustrations that it can cause young students. The Boot Camp idea is so neat and I think increased creativity in the classroom could really ignite students desire to read fluently.

    ReplyDelete