Sunday, October 7, 2012

Making Words


This article represented a little irony for me, considering that I spent all weekend babysitting children who are learning to both read and write. On Friday, I actually spent time in an elementary school working with children who are struggling with writing. I noticed a lot of typical mistakes the children made when attempting to spell pretty simple words. One of the little girls I was working with was trying to spell “feel”, but instead spelled “fiel”.  Even though some of the words were spelled wrong, the children were still using the word in the correct context, so I understood pretty easily what they were trying to write. Also, at dinner tonight I was trying to help my five year old niece understand rhyming words and how you can change the first letter of pat to b and make bat, which also rhymes. So I feel like this article is right up my alley!  I think Cunningham and Cunningham’s article “Making Words” would be a great activity to do of course in the classroom, but even for the children I work with, for the children I babysit, and my niece. It provided a fun and interesting way for children to improve phonics and spelling, which will lead them on the road to being a better reader! I remember doing this activity on the chart in elementary school, but I found more fun ways to do this...
I thought this was such a cute idea! Since the two sides of the eggs can slide around, this is a great way for "Making Words"



A great idea for parents to do at home for this purpose is fridge magnets!


4 comments:

  1. Those are definitely some pretty neat activities! The egg idea would be really cool and cost effective for creating exercises for younger students to teach them certain rules of language! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the activities that you posted! For my education 100 project I did something very similar to the eggs, and it was a great success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fridge magnets are my favorite! I'm sure children will really enjoy using those to make words. The egg idea is also very interesting. I would never think to use plastic eggs in this way. These ideas are great for parents and babysitters because they are very simple and fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed your example of the egg and how it can be twisted around to form different words not only is that a creative way to spice up the Making Words activity, but it will also intrigue children and get them excited about learning to make different words. I remember doing the magnet words on the refrigerator at home with my parents or on my own free time, but I do not remember doing activities like this when i was in school, however, I am so excited to use them in my classroom when I am a teacher!

    ReplyDelete